Re: Tables, IE5, NN4.7, and, obviously, problems.

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:32:40 -0000
 To:  "Thomas James Allen" <tjallen(at)pipeline.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jimmy (Thomas James Allen at tjallen(at)pipeline.com) wrote...

> When you are placing %ages in the td columns you use
> 49% + 2% + 49% = 100%,
> but this omits the first column, which you've set to 125 pixels.
> (And this puts you over 100%, confusing NN).

Fudge. Makes sense; thanks.

> In IE, it only seems okay, because you set the divider bar at 3 pixels,
> and IE is dividing the remaining space equally. In NN, all three columns
> are dividing the remaining space equally. (Set border=1, and you can
> see it)

yeah, I see what you mean.

> Recommendations:
> Don't try mixing %ages with Absolute (pixels).    :)
> Best would be to place the columned articles in an inner table
> within the main table. Then the column division 49+2+49 will
> work, just as you set them.

Nuts. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to nest tables again. Ho-hum.

Still, it's good advice, and, frankly, probably the only solution. I'll get
back to the drawing board again, then.

Thanks for the help!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Intelligent Web Design Services
    http://iws.n3.net/
Contact me for my PGP Public Key.

Main ISG gateway site:
    http://isg.n3.net/
Impossible Scenarios Group main web site:
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/roger.stenning/index.html
Visit the Millennium's End London Sourcebook!
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/roger.stenning/melsb/melsb_index.html