Re: Explaination of Various Graphics Software

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:30:12 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
RE: Keith and Vector graphics.

Please let me echo all that Keith had to say about vector
graphics. You simply can not believe how much easier it is to
work with vector than bitmapped. To scan in a bitmapped graphic
and then apply vector over it is quick and simple and so very
easy to re-edit at a latter time when the client changes her
mind.

We also had the problem of needing to output for the printed
media so we sprang for a "high end" graphics program and
purchased Canvas 6. (They have super special prices for
"Competitive Upgrades" -- I believe Windows Paint qualifies??) We
have never been sorry.

Canvas allows BOTH vector and Pixel graphics to be mixed
together. As well as graphics. It has ALL the high end page
layout type features like kerning, character width, and on and
on. It has layers of course, and transparency, and every vector
and pixel tool they could think of. A great customizable
interface that lets you set menus and toolboxes where and how you
want them.
The 3 CD's full of clip art is nice too. Many are created just
for web work. It even has an engine/application/wizard for
creating Java goodies.

All this can be combined and saved in just about ANY format known
to man, PC or Mac. (Comes in either operating system)

But perhaps the most important here is the depth of support.
How-to videos, several message boards, a graphics newsgroup, free
upgrades all the time, comes with FIVE manuals. Yes--there is a
trial download at:
http://www.deneba.com/ but it is rather huge.

Whether you go the Canvas route or not, Vector is so really slick
it is well worth the price of an extra application.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>There are two MASSIVELY huge distinctions to make when talking
>about graphics and for me is the key to choosing the right
graphics