Re: FrontPage Web bot/Image Map Fandango

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:50:15 -0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Michelle:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record ...

A web page is a web page and FrontPage is just one of dozens of
viable editors used to create them. There is nothing special
about a FP page except for the Bots and/or Themes. Your page does
not appear to have Themes. Even those are basically HTML code
with a little CSS thrown in. It is still just a web page. The
image map is an example of one of those Bots.

And--As to the image map. Yes it was created in FrontPage but all
those numbers you refer to are the coordinates needed to make the
image map work using HTML. It is telling the browser what part of
the image is active for what link. You have to have them, one way
or another. You can do it by hand if you want to. (Have you got a
couple of days to fiddle with it??)

Or you can use FrontPage or any of half dozen other applications
capable of producing an image map which usually takes less than
half an hour to set up. (You "draw" a rectangle with the mouse in
the app's image map creation tool or wizard, depending on the
applet.)

The awful looking images you mention are probably that way
because a "photograph" was saved as a .gif format. GIF simply
does not have enough colors to properly render a photograph. It
should have been saved as a .jpg, (JPEG) which has millions of
colors and can be compressed to keep the file size down.

Any modern paint type program should be able to do this. Your
PhotoShop 4 should do this just fine.

Oh yes -- FrontPage DOES have a graphics program that comes with
it called Image Composer. The main complaint most have with it is
that some programmer tried to make it so simple to use it is
confusing. HOWEVER--it WILL do just about anything you would ever
need for web work. The interface you have to work with is just so
different, someone used to PhotoShop/Canvas/etc may go bald from
head scratching.

As the links are all part of a large GIF file, adding the two
additional links means that the original image must be modified.
This is no big deal in a good paint program. I see Shawn already
found a source for your missing font.

As I see it, you have three ways to go.

1. Spend a lot of time doing the image map by hand.

2. Buy FrontPage, or any other editor that will "do" image maps.
(I'm not sure whether the free FP Express that comes with IE-4
will do image maps??)

3. Heave the image map over the side and use Arial to create
conventional links over a table cell with a yellow background.

Lastly -- PhotoShop 4 is a fine program that will do all the art
work you ever need. Granted, later versions of most of the major
paint programs are more web friendly but your version 4 should be
fine.

If you need more detailed assistance, feel free to e-mail me
directly.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>Hi All,
>
>I volunteer for this site:
>http://www.momsnetwork.com/suites/parentchild/caringathome
>
>The site was developed by a third party who used FrontPage.
>And now, the owner of the site wants to make some changes. She
doesn't
>have FrontPage and she doesn't have a paint program and the
person
>who designed the site has lost the disk where the original code
was
>saved.
>
>Sounds like a lost cause already. But, please bear with me.
Here's
>what she wants to do: She wants to add 2 linked images to the
bottom of the
>left aligned yellow table. I have a paint program, so I could
help her
>out with this, but I don't have the right font (which is
Bimini). Also,