Re: graphics

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:21:03 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dorine:

In general, you simply pull up the site in your browser and press
the PrintScreen key on a Windows machine.

Then use a high end graphics program like PhotoShop or Canvas to
crop the screen shot down to the size you want. You can also do
this with Paint Shop Pro or Image Composer that comes with
FrontPage.

The problem with this method is that there is very little depth
of you page showing. (no way to scroll). One way to help in this
area is to:

1. switch you monitor to it's highest resolution.

2. Resize your browser to give maximum depth while limiting the
width to the size the page was created for.

You usually do not have to worry about the poor resolution of a
"screen shot" as you will be resizing the page downward, thus
creating a surplus of dots per inch, (pixels per inch) You can
use the high end graphics program to make the graphic physically
smaller while retaining file size.

You will be amazed how sharp the smaller picture will look.

Save your work at this point in the program you are using. Then
play around as you see fit with contrast, brightness, gamma
curves and or resolution. If you go too far and mess it up, use
your undo key. If you get totally lost, just close the work
without saving it and re-open your saved version to start over.

Note: Many of the high end programs have a "Revert to Saved"
shortcut for this. Some of us "creative" fiddlers use this
feature a LOT out of necessity. (?)

When you finally get what you want, either "Export" or Save the
Selection as either a GIF or JPEG as needed using the program's
reduction features to get the final file size down where you want
it. Again, if you go too far you still have the original in your
program to fall back on.

Have fun and best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA