Re: HTML newsletters

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 22 May 2001 09:52:42 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Paul:

I'm embarrassed to say I don't have Outlook 2000, (I use another PIM) but I
"think?" it will work similar to Outlook Express.

In Outlook Express, it is easy to "embed" graphics.

Simply start a new message and switch to HTML (Rich Text) under the Format
menu.

Then images can be inserted at the cursor location by going to the Insert
menu. Click on Picture. Note: If "Picture" is grayed out, this means you
need to change to the HTML format as mentioned above.

In the screen shown when getting the image, you can add Alt Tags, set text
offset and picture placement, (left, right, etc.), just like you would in
FrontPage. (Although many FrontPage features are missing.)

These graphics should show up just fine for the clients you mentioned. It is
only when you send to recipients at large that you start running into
trouble. There, you will find some e-mail clients, AOL, and others that can
not "see" images and/or HTML effects for one reason or another. But
again--for your purposes--it should do just fine.

These images will go right along with the e-mail and once downloaded, they
will be on the client's hard drive. There is no need to be "on the web".
They can copy any of the images by Right-Clicking and saving.

Incidentally--having heard all the horror stories about download times, we
ran some "rough" tests. A club newsletter containing a half dozen 6-10K
pictures and quite a bit of text manipulation, took on average, only eight
seconds longer than the text only version. (56K modem) Of course, this would
vary slightly depending on web conditions at the time. (This would have been
the equivalent of a nine page newsletter if printed out.)

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net