Re: Hiding source code

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:40:19 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Erlic:

There are all kinds of JavaScript tricks, (sort of), to hide the HTML from a
viewer with little or no computer experience. Sadly none of them work very
well because of the simple fact that the viewer's browser has to download it
all in order to display the page. This means the viewer has that source code
in his computer. Somewhere--sometimes several places at once.

This includes pictures as well. After all, if you have not downloaded the
graphic, you can not "see" it.

Perhaps one method works about as good as any simply because it is so simple
it's often not expected. Just place a whole bunch of "returns" at the top of
your source code. To a browser, it won't matter. But in NotePad the page
will look blank unless they happen to notice the scrollbar has shrunk up to
the top. [snicker] If you REALLY put a lot of returns, it will even make the
Normal View in FrontPage look blank without scrolling.

Hey--it will fool some and there is NO way to fool them all.

Side note: Many of the so called Hide the Code schemes can be overcome by
simply clicking the Edit in FrontPage button in IE-4-5. In some cases, up
pops the whole darn web.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA