Re: Small website design . . . DTD Modification

by "Bert Doorn" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Tue, 2 Oct 2001 23:49:05 +0800
 To:  "HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> Uuummmm . . . errrr . . . ahhhhhh . . .
> Please, be informed according to the W3, HWG, and most all other
> "knowledgeable" sources, a complete (and specific) DTD is a *required*
element.
> <REALLY hoping this isn't taken . . offensively>

No offense taken.  I like to write valid (X)HTML too.

So, given your knowledge of standards, is it an issue of Netscape not being
compliant with the standard?   Of the browser not rendering valid HTML (or
XHTML for that matter) correctly?  Or is it a matter of Netscape being
extremely compliant and the standard actually WANTING browsers to put extra
space where it is not asked for?

I have had these same problems.  The only way I could overcome it (other
than to dump the images - not an option) was to put in the incomplete DTD.
All else failed - removed all spaces between the image and the <.td> and
<./td>.  Set the table border to 0, cellspacing to 0 and cellpadding to 0,
which is valid (X)HTML, even in strict flavour.  With the valid DTD, it
displays fine in Opera 4 and 5, IE4 and 5, and NN 4.x.  So what might be the
problem?

I look forward to your reply.
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer