Re: Image Question

by "Gary Bonham" <Gary(at)BonhamDesigns.com>

 Date:  Thu, 11 May 2000 15:17:08 -0700
 To:  "Mr. J Michael Cates" <jmcates(at)worldnet.att.net>,
"HWG-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Another item I forgot to mention. JPG does well with photographs, but has
problems with sharp items like text. GIF is great for sharp items. The
compression method for JPG tends to cause "ringing" along sharp edges which
can be offensive. This effect, and others, diminish as you increase the
quality at the expense of less compression. At around 2:1 JPG becomes
lossless, but that isn't much compression.