Re: Is this off topic?

by "Scott Choitz" <schoitz(at)new.rr.com>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Feb 2001 03:49:26 -0600
 To:  "Richard and Jolene Johnson" <jonric(at)tx3.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sorry for such a drawn out message, but I think it will assist those that
may be seeking some answers to this.

I have found in the past, that finding employment in this field is not as
easy as it seems.  Not only does your background have to fit exactly into
place with a company, but the experience (in the eyes of the prospective
employer) does also.

I have worked around computers most of the past 18 years and have yet to
find a company that would hire me in as a designer/developer in any
capacity.  Not one to lay down and take what others think I am due, I now
own 3 businesses (2 development + 1 hosting) and have a wider range of
production than my local competitors. (perhaps this year we can take enough
time to update our 2 year old site to current standards)

What I am saying is, no matter what everyone else believes to be happening
(whether its easy to find work or just to find the right position) there are
always opportunities that are available to those that show promise and are
willing to learn.

My personal recommendation:  find what you do best and work towards that
goal.
If you have an eye for graphics and have a creative mind, then work on the
actual design portion of web sites (good designers with an eye for layouts
are hard to find from what I see right now),  if your better at programming,
work a bit harder and you will find your niche in this area.  If you are an
abilities cover a wide range of aspects in development, then search that
area or gear up for an Internet sales position.

It is the same for any position that one is seeking.  ** LOOK - LEARN -
LISTEN **

Personally, I am always looking for fresh talent.  I may not always be in
the market for these people when they are seeking employment, but I file
those that show potential for future reference.

Whether this was off topic or not, it covered a question that must have
crossed many minds during the past year.  It definitely deserved the best
answer I could give.

Scott A. Choitz