Re: JS Mouseover

by "Bert Doorn" <bdoorn(at)iinet.net.au>

 Date:  Mon, 3 Apr 2000 00:35:57 +0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> I have added JS Mouseovers to my page.  They work great in my browser, but
> when I upload them, they won't work.  I checked the obvious - both graphics
> are uploaded.  What am I doing wrong?!
> http://www.desoto.net/users/wwwkef/reunion.html

They DO work.  Only, because you did not preload them and they are rather
large (filesize - each button is around 6k), they take a while to come up.
Every time you "mouseover", they are loaded from the web again.  You would not
have noticed this on your hard-drive as it would be much faster than loading
from the web.

Haven't got time to launch into how to preload right now.  Perhaps check this
example (an oldie I made up quite some time ago, before NAME was "valid
HTML"): http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/example/

Suggest you work on your filesize too - 6K for small-ish button is too much.
10 buttons = 60K = 20 seconds on a 28.8k modem, on a good day.  You should be
able to get them down to less than 2K each, perhaps even 1K.

HTH
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
http://www.BetterWebDesign.com.au