Re: Netscape messes up background images in tables

by "Bert Doorn" <bdoorn(at)iinet.net.au>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Oct 1999 22:42:02 +0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day Martin and list

Sorry, I'm writing this offline so I can't look at the page right now.
However, I believe the problem may that you are trying to use attributes
which are specific to one particular (family of) browser(s)

> the background image, but Netscape still insists on 'bleeding' the
> background image through into every cell in the other table and tiling
> it :(

That sounds like NN is only putting a background in the TABLE and is does
not recognise the "background" attribute for TD.

> I cannot believe Netscape can mess up so badly. But maybe it's
> something I've done wrong. Is it me, or is it yet another case of
> Netscape's poor adherence to standards? Anyone know a workaround?

I think that's unfair criticism - check the standards at the W3C.  They will
tell you that (for HTML4 transitional) the BACKGROUND attribute is ONLY
valid for the BODY element.  BGCOLOR however is valid for TABLEs and TD's.
So if that attribute happens to work with other elements in ~some~ browsers,
that's a bonus for that particular browser, not a sign of adherence to
standards (or lack of it).  No, I'm not a fan of Netscape, I prefer IE5
myself but fair is fair...

> Please don't comment about the size of the graphics - I'm aware

OK, I won't comment directly (I'm offline, remember).  However, IMHO you
would be doing your client a disservice if you do not show them
alternatives.   If the graphics take too long to load, many visitors will go
elsewhere. What good is a website if visitors don't hang around to look at
it?  Sometimes graphics can be compressed a lot without sacrificing quality
(at least, to the naked eye).  As for a quick result, it takes seconds to
reduce an image.  OK, maybe a couple of minutes in some cases.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/