Re: Linking to an Excel file.

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:30:51 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Teri:

> Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening and how I might
> resolve it?

I wish I had an answer for you but I'm afraid you're stuck as long as you
are running Netscape.

First a Disclaimer: Please--Nobody get mad over this. I just happen to
believe that really "using" MS products integrated to "swing and sway the MS
way" has improved the productivity of my tiny little office. I also feel it
should make an enormous difference in a large business.

I know the politically correct thing these days is to "dish" all over
Microsoft but we ALL sometimes forget that a very large portion of the neat
little goodies available in Windows 95-98 are made possible by IE-4 or IE-5.

In a very real sense, that's what all the fuss was about by Sun, Netscape
et. al.  Who would want to use their products when IE allows Windows to do
all those really fancy things. Just one example: Preview images and web
pages in Windows Explorer.

They, (Sun, Netscape and others), knew there really IS a big difference
between Windows running with--or without--the Explorer browser integrated
into the system. That's why they wanted it "pulled". And this has nothing to
do with the much despised "Active Desktop". It also changes the Windows
Explorer, the Start Menu and many of the Windows and MS apps.

And your problem here is just another case in point.

If your company was running IE-4 or 5, both Word and Excel, (most MS
Office), would come up right "in" the browser. In fact, you can jump all
over the desktop, the files and the Internet with a simple link or shortcut.
Some of these links are only possible with IE-4-5 installed. (And don't
forget Favicons. They are just as slick on "intranets as they are on the
web. [Only possible with IE-5])

How to solve it with Netscape?? I don't think you can. But--A workaround is
to train people to look at the taskbar. Set it for automatic pop-up and
Always on Top. Then you can run the mouse down and click on the tab for the
application you want. It will jump to the front.

Lastly--I suspect that many on this list will be so "shocked and offended"
by my impertinent defense of Microsoft, they will be inspired to share other
workarounds that those of us using IE-5 are unaware of.

Good luck and best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net