Re: Inline Frames: Change of(f) Topic NS6

by "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Apr 2000 13:49:19 -0400
 To:  "hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
[snip]
>> Now, what's the argument for optimizing for a browser that has a
>> *0%* market share, namely Opera?
>
> I do believe the argument for optimizing for Opera is that it uses the W3C
> HTML standard as opposed to all the add-ons to the standard that the other
> browsers have. This way it sort of makes Opera the real defacto
browser.....
[snip]

I agree!  Well said.  May I also add, not only does Opera follow W3C
standards, as far as I know, it is the only one that makes a genuine
concerted effort to do so.  We should applaud them and, as web developers,
support them.  After all, it's in our best interest to do so!  Yes, the only
downside is that it isn't free, but you get what you pay for.  It's hard to
compete with IE when Microsoft is giving it away for free, but that's
exactly what Microsoft had in mind and exactly why our Justice Department
has gotten involved (remember, Netscape used to make a living selling
Navigator). Janet Reno and the Justice Department may be one of the few
areas of our government left that still seems to work for the people. Can't
help but notice that the originator of this thread makes extensive use of
frames, a Netscape innovation, but constantly rails against them!  On the
other hand, contrary to Bill Gates recent TV commercials (which amount to
nothing more than damage control) Microsoft has done very little innovating.
While I completely agree that IE does a much better job of dealing with good
HTML code, Microsoft has legions of programmers that are subsidized by other
Microsoft products. How can Netscape or Opera compete with that!

BTW- Opera has recently come out with a new version that now supports HTML
4.0 and CSS2.

[snip]
I am confused about the various responses I see regarding
NS6. Of course, the promo material swears upside-down and
sideways that it is more W3C compliant than ever. But it
seems that it is even pickier about what it supports than
before.
[snip]

REMEMBER, THIS IS NOT A FINISHED PRODUCT.  You have been privileged to see
it before it is anywhere near completion.  It is more for the developers
right now than anyone. Take it from someone who used to test software for a
living, it's a lot like watching team scrimmages in football camp  It's not
even in the pre-season game mode yet.  What it does now is not how it's
going to perform in the real world once they declare it ready for the
mainstream market.

Steve Antonio
santonio(at)delanet.com