Re: Refresh a page

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:22:24 +0530
 To:  "Basics [HWG]" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Heloo Cassandra

Well, there are two ways to arrive at the same place you want to go to
and one of them is time specific and one is non-time specific. Both
employ the HTTP-EQUIV meta command mentally. I mean, in the <HEAD>.

The time specific deals with setting an Expiry date & time. The
browser archives the page in the cache till the page expires. When the
browser detects that the page has expired, it will re-load the page
from the site. It goes like:

<META HTTP-EQUIV=Expires CONTENT="Sun, 19 Sep 1999 05:30:00 GMT">

Umm... You don't want to use this. Believe me. Do you really think
you'll like to update the date daily? Read on...

The other way stops caching altogether. 100% solid! Foolproof.
Idiotproof... (I think) But it will increase the number of hits on the
page drastically. Drastically! (with a capital D and an exclamation)
The page is retrieved and shown to the user. Then trashed! The next
time the user goes to the page... Contacting XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX -> Host
contacted, waiting for reply... -> Opening XXXX.XXX -> blah blah.
Well, you get the point... I hope... Anyway, to achieve this, you go:

<META Http-Equiv="Pragma" Content="no-cache">

If this helped you, plant a tree. :)

[abhay]