Re: Getting noticed

by "Kim Mitchell" <kim(at)who-knows.com>

 Date:  Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:38:00 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Freda Lockert" <freda(at)rlockert.easynet.co.uk>
  todo: View Thread, Original
There are, as you say, about 15 big search engines and directories.  They
each have their own method and algorithm of deciding which sites rank high
for which keywords.  The algorithms are mostly automatic based on the words
in your pages.  There are several ways in which you can improve the
visibility of your site on the search engines.

First, select keywords that are most likely to be the words people type into
a search engine when they are looking for a site like yours.

Second, use those words liberally in your pages, especially in the title,
meta tags, headings, link text, and body of your document.

Third, go to each of the major search engines and read their submittal
procedures and follow them in submitting your site.  In some cases, it pays
to submit each page.  In others, you will get penalized for submitting more
than the home page (like with Infoseek). For directories like Yahoo, Open
Directory and Snap, you need to fill out a little form, explaining which
keywords apply to your site and giving a brief description.  This step
generally cannot be done automatically for directories.

Finally, there are organizations which spend full time trying to understand
the search engines' methodology and the means necessary to get good
positions for keywords of interest.  Some of these are great (I particularly
like and use www.webposition.com )  If you consult with somebody and their
suggestion sounds to you like a 'trick' such as including keywords in the
same color as the background, repeating keywords hundreds of times in
comments or hidden values or anything else that sounds fishy, I would
recommend you steer clear.  The search engines have responded to these
'tricks' by removing the sites which use them from their indexes completely.

Hope this helps,
Kim

   Kimberley Mitchell                           (732) 750-1941
   Member: HTML Writers Guild        kim(at)mighty-sites.com
   http://sewingandvac.com               http://www.mighty-sites.com
   http://www.oldbird.org                     http://www.asq-rd.org