Re: How to make drop -down menus wander

by "Bert Doorn" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:31:29 +0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day

> I need to design a javascript (or other type--if you have a better
> suggestion) drop-down menu, but I am having problems with the
> layout. So I thought I'd try tapping into the webs best think-tank.

All depends on what you mean with a drop-down menu.  If you are using a
simple "select" box (form element) you can place it anywhere you like and
use javascript and/or some form of server-side script (ASP, Perl, PHP etc)
to take care of the re-direction..

If it is one of those DHTML menus that uses absolutely positioned divs (or
layers) you will need some routine to detect the inner width of the browser
window and in your case, the width of the table cell to set the menu's
position.  Depending on the layout you may also need to detect at which
vertical position the table cell starts...  This can be tricky, particularly
if you are trying to make it compatible with many different browsers (NN4/6,
Mozilla 5, IE4/5/5.5/6, Opera etc)

I don't have a ready-made solution but these are the sorts of issues that
come to mind.

HTH
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer