Re: hwg-basics-digest V1 #788

by Bill Costlow <atlatyl(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 5 Dec 2000 02:23:22 -0800 (PST)
 To:  Julie Cooke <skyamese2(at)yahoo.com>,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Julie,

I've found that scanning directly into Acrobat is a
poor way to import.  If you have Photoshop, you can
scan with that, clean up a lot of the dirty stuff
scans often pick up and then save as a pdf and
probably get down to 100 or even 80 dpi.

It also depends on what you want to do with those five
pages.  If you are only trying to preserve fonts and
layout, you'll almost certainly be better off scanning
into your graphics editor and limiting the pallete to
B&W or grayscale.  If you must use acrobat at this
point, you might try saving as a postscript file and
then importing to acrobat but I've never tried that
and don't have Acrobat on my system anymore.

The real power of Acrobat is indexing large docments
while preserving fonts (which don't have to be on the
client system), layout and maintaining a minimal file
size...in many cases though, the file size isn't as
small as you'd like it to be.