Re: High Speed Homes<seriously though>

by Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>

 Date:  Thu, 3 May 2001 12:13:37 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On 5/3/01 at 2:07 PM, Captain F.M. O'Lary <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net> wrote:

> Completely off topic but . . .
>
> Monday the "cable modem people" came out to my house and replaced my
> DSL with their cable modem.
>
> I am seeing ~regular~ throughput in the 2250K range - even when
> California is awake!
>
> In case those numbers mean nothing to you: FASTER than a t-1 by a
> significant amount.
>
> Price? I can't say (mom would REALLY smack me), but I'll tell you it
> is HUGELY cheaper than a T-1.
>
> Cable Rocks!
> Fuzzy.

With cable, your speed is supposed to be affected by how many of your
neighbors are also using the service. But I was the first on my block
and now *everyone* has cable (on my street) and I haven't noticed a
difference. By odd coincidence, our very short block includes 5 Web
designers and a Web host tech support person.

Congratulations, Fuzzy.

Ken

http://www.thirdlives.com
ThirdLives Web Design