Re: "./" files

by joe saulnier <joesaulnier(at)juno.com>

 Date:  Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:00:56 -0500
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello, all.

John's message leads me to believe he's attempting to include his several
small websites under a single domain as Jolene described. My solution
also is as Jolene describes - using sub-directories with individual home
pages (index.htm) for each mini-website or stand-alone subject.  This is
the method I suggest in this situation to take advantage of sharing
graphic or other files among the websites.

Furthermore, John seems to be limiting his use of index.htm files,
whereas I suggest he consider the possible expansion of their use as
follows.

In this thread about home pages (index.htm) I haven't seen mentioned the
one use I especially like - that of redirection back to one's website
home page. Is this a valid use ?  It works for me.  Do any of your
readers use it this way ?

Now here's where I go further with the index.htm files.  I include an
index.htm file in every directory I don't want readers to be poking
around in.  These index.htm pages are nothing more than redirection pages
back to my intended point of entry home page.

For example, www.mysite.com/site1/maps/ may contain maps not currently
being used. Therefore, I include an index.htm file redirecting users back
to www.mysite.com/site1/index.htm.  I've decided on this procedure since
noticing that many website file listings are accessible when one enters
just the directory URL without a filename.

Web hosts differ in how they handle the viewing of directory contents by
users.  Most hosts prevent such viewing and display an error page or a
'not allowed to view' message.  Other hosts, for their own reasons, want
to allow viewing directory contents.  So, to close a directory in this
second type of host, I've begun using redirection from an index.htm page.

Just another alternative use for your consideration, John.

Web Spinner