RE: HTML Programs

 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:11:15 -0400
 To:  "Villano,
Paul" <VillanoP(at)usachcs-emh1.army.mil>,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Somebody heard your prayer Paul.

It's called UNIX.

It's been around a long time. The *problem* is that the folks that turned
it loose on the world didn't realize that (most) folks that use computers
DO NOT want to think more than they ~absolutely~ have to.

Ok, no more opinion (for now).

The fact is that if it can be done on a computer, a skilled operator can
get a *NIX box to do it. Seriously Paul, if Martian isn't your second
language the learning cure can be pretty steep (think Mt. Everest soaked in
vegetable oil), but once the ' horizon ' (as I have heard it referred to)
is broken, you'll start finding yourself sitting around watching TV seeing
and hearing everything in UNIX. It's sorta like that movie "The Matrix".
Spooky I know. But he fact is if you'll make the commitment to the OS,
it'll take you where you want to go, on a very "low overhead" budget (ok,
well maybe with the exception of storage space for the OS and the modules
you run).

HTH,
Fuzzy
P.S. It occurred to me that some links to UNIX references would be handy to
put here, but taking a quick look at www.hwg.org reveals someone has
already done a far more comprehensive job that I would in the bottom of
this message. So go check it out.

At 08:48 AM 6/29/00 -0400, Villano, Paul wrote:
>This is something of a rant, so you may want to just move on.  ;)
>
>One thing that drives me bonkies about MOST software, including HTML
>programs, is that so much of it is redundant.  WHY?  If you get the latest
>WYSIWYG HTML software chances are that it will clean up the crap code that
>Microsoft's HTML generators produce (Office and Front Page).  Great.  But
>these programs also usually ship with an editor program which does the same
>thing.  Most computers have two e-mail programs from Microsoft (Exchange and
>Outlook).  WHY?  I can understand the need for competition between
>companies, but when one company fills your computer with three things that
>all do the same job, that's silly.  It's like those charts where the two
>pies overlap.  There's always something that both do, but some things that
>only one or the other will do, and some things neither will do that you need
>yet another software for.  Growl.
>
>Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me.  And sending up a prayer that,
>someday, someone will create ONE program that will do it ALL (or at least
>90% of it) and NOT be a space or memory hog.
>
>Paul  -- "For God and Country!"
>"Resolved:  To live with all my might while I do live, and as I will wish I
>had lived ten thousand years from now." Jonathan Edwards

Captain F.M. O'Lary
webmaster(at)canopy.net
sysop(at)mail.ruediger.leon.k12.fl.us
sysop(at)mail.woodville.leon.k12.fl.us