Re: Font Changed

 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:24:56 -0400
 To:  "Susan Kemp" <SusanKemp(at)earthlink.net>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:00 PM 7/25/00 -0400, you wrote:
>So you're saying font face arial won't work reliably in Netscape?

Speaking within the bounds of NN 4.0 and ~earlier~ that is correct - for
sure - when using the FACE attribute with the FONT tag. No defined font
face will, it's nothing personal against arial :-)

>I can't
>bring myself up to speed in style sheets quick enough to fix this or is that
>the only way I can make it work?  Maybe I'll foist it off on my techs?  Evil
>laughter....

Amen.

I _really_ wish the world would get its act together and get behind CSS
100%. I think most everyone would agree that would be seriously cool. It is
my understanding and experience that the text face and color attributes of
CSS are supported sufficiently to allow you to "fix" this in browsers (the
big two) version 3.X and later.

Please notice I omitted offering a Javascript solution. Here is why.

I now it's square and old fashioned, but a lot of folks cruise with Java
support turned off. Also, and this is probably even more important, pre 3.X
versions of the big two as well as AOL 4.0 and earlier didn't support it
reliably (if at all) anyway. SO . . . it is my humble opinion that it is
both safer and more stable to use the CSS, and because the support for the
two options is approximately the same, I vote for CSS again.

HTH,
Fuzzy
Captain F.M. O'Lary
webmaster(at)canopy.net