Re:

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sat, 07 Aug 1999 14:40:59 +1000
 To:  Donna Yager <prpub1(at)dreamscape.com>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:39 6/08/99 -0400, Donna Yager wrote:
>Not really worrying per se, but curious to know if I were working on a site
>for a client and they realized that the directory was open to easy
>accessibility like that could there be any ramifications.

I guess many of us make the assumption that the index.html file will stop
people seeing what is really there.

One thing to keep in mind is the importance of having an appropriate
robots.txt file in place - it would be even more embarrassing if someone
was to discover those "hidden" experimental pages from Altavista or some
other search engine because a search engine spider had visited your site.

And if anyone want any info on robots.txt files try:

  http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/projects/robots/robots.html

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au