Re: Number of Keywords

 Date:  Sun, 17 Jun 2001 08:42:49 -0400
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:08 PM 6/16/01 , Richard and Jolene Johnson wrote:
>As I understand it, some search engines will only index a certain number of
>keywords and ignore the rest, but I haven't heard of a site losing ranking
>over the number of keywords - unless you are repeating the same words over
>and over, which is considered spamming.  I have gone to several major search
>engines, and noticed that the sites ranking highest on the list have more
>than 15 keywords.
>
>Jolene Johnson

My experience runs along these same lines, but I would caution that there
are almost as many different "acceptable methods" of dealing with this as
there are search/directory services. And what is *desirable* on one could
get you dropped like a hot potato from another.

<helpful hint>
Demographic research applies to search/directory services too.
Find out which service(s) are most frequently used by YOUR target audience
and code accordingly.
</helpful hint>

The last time I actually saw a physical number denoting an acceptable
number of characters in (either) the KEYWORD or the DESCRIPTION element is
was: 1024 *total* per element, yes, including spaces and punctuation. I
have to admit, that has been a few years ago though.

HTH,
Fuzzy.