Re: and "basics" are......?

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:29:44 +1100
 To:  ShemaXod(at)aol.com
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Sherill,

At 12:10 11/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I've been looking at class descriptions of the HWG online classes and keep
>seeing a requirement for a "solid foundation in HTML 4.0" or equivalent to
>the Intro to HTML course. I've learned HTML from online tutorials and a book
>("Special Edition; Using HTML 4"), so, I'm not sure if I know what it is that
>I don't know. What is considered a "solid foundation"?

I'll cast my vote with Donna and Ken - the Intro to HTML 4 is likely to
explore the accessibility attributes and cascading style sheets.  It is
most likely to include a "hands-on" approach to code-writing, dealing with
structures that are not well supported by WYSIWYG editors.

I'd translate it as "you must be able to hand code (or learn to hand code
in addition to the course content)" - if you are strictly a  WYSIWYG
designer, then the learning curve will be steep (but probably not
impossible if you put the time in), at the very least, you will need to be
familiar with the concept of "validation".

Just remember that the concept of "online learning" places a heavy
responsibility on the learner to be self-motivated - you won't have the
"teacher" in your face demanding you hand in assignments every day.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au