Re:

by Jim <webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com>

 Date:  Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:36:16 -0800
 To:  Leopoldo Willik <munchhausen(at)rocketmail.com>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:36 AM 3/28/00 , Leopoldo Willik tickled the electrons and they
aligned themselves to form these words:
>Hi List,
>
>I've just finished my company site using Arachnophilia 4.0. I view it in
>IE 5.0 and it looks good. In Netscape 4.6.1 my layout goes to pot and now
>I'll have to correct this so it'll look reasonably the same in both
>browsers. I was anal in my coding and thought I was ahead of the game, but
>apparently not.

You've added topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" to your body tag. You need to
include marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" as well.

NS will not fill the space normally occupied by the vertical scroll bar if
there isn't enough page content to require scrolling. One fix is to include
height="100%" to the table tag to force NS to display a scroll bar.

>Anyway...
>
>Q1. Does there exist, a definitive list describing IE and NN discrepancies
>in reading/deciphering HTML code.

Not aware of one.

Try http://www.irt.org

>Q3.How do I get around this problem in the future?. Do I automatically
>code for each individual browser and place the Javascript on the splash
>page or is there a simpler way?

A couple of suggestions:
1) Always validate your code. Spaces in tags trip NS up sometimes.
2) Design for NS. Once *that* works you can "spiff it up" for IE without
causing undue strain for NS.
3) Use CSS to make #2 easier.

<snip>

HTH