Re: Margins and Single Spacing

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:00:56 -0600
 To:  "Brent" <brent(at)dogwoodshelties.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Brent,

Well, you're on the right track anyway -- just identifying the need to
improve download time is a biggie -- BTW, http://cast.org/Bobby/ is a good
tool for estimating download time as well as pointing out accessibility
issues. I try to make it a habit to check sites there.

>First has to do with my Dysautonomia page (personal journal).  I've used a
>background image that has a graphic down the left-hand side of the page.
>Probably the wrong way to do it but I used indentation to move the graphic
>to the right which appears to move the text to the right and out of the
>graphic (sometimes) but also moves the text away from the left-hand margin
>which I don't really care to do.

You haven't looked at in Netscape yet, I assume? My NN 4.5 is not honoring
your margin at all.

To move text to the right do one of two things -- put the body text in a
long right-hand table cell with a transparent gif in the left cell set to a
width that matches your background. The other thing, which has varying
levels of support across browsers, is to use style sheets. I would play
with that by pulling the body background margin from the body tag, setting
up a style sheet to give the elements a 180 px margin which I'm guessing
will clear your background image. If  you use style sheets to set the style
for your paragraphs, bold and italic text, it will also reduce the loading
time -- not much, but every kilobyte helps :-)

I first started coding by hand, and I'm now phasing out an editor called
First Page which is becoming quickly outdated, but Dreamweaver should allow
some sort of Cascading Style Sheet. I did download a trial of DW once -- it
came with a wonderful tutorial, and you may be able to find some decent
books, on-line tutorials, etc. too.

Good luck to you!