Re: page layout for all monitors

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:16:12 -0600
 To:  rashunda(at)mindspring.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:58 PM 1/23/01 -0500, rashunda(at)mindspring.com wrote:
>Hi all,
>   My name is Rashunda Tramble.  I'm new to the list and new to web page
> building.  I have a question. I use Net Objects Fusion 4 on my website. I
> would like for my site to show up "centered" on each visitors monitor,
> not just on ones that can handle more pixels (at least I "think" that's
> what my problem is.  You see, when some folks land on my site, they get
> the scroll bar on the bottom and they have to scroll to the right. That's
> not what I want.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  If so, is
> there a solution?  Check out my site at http://www.rashundatramble.com to
> see what I'm talking about.

Hi Rashunda,

NN 4.5 on a 15-inch monitor set to 800x600.

I don't use NetObjects and was only recently converted to using any kind of
an editor. I can not speak specifically to NO.

The first thing I see is you have your content inside a table -- why? Why
do you want all that margin on the left?

My first reaction is to pull all that tabling except for the nav table on
the bottom and then set /Rashunda_s_Site_NFloatBanner.gif and /locsgirl.gif
to align="center"

Leave the navigation and the image rollovers inside a table, but do /not/
define a width and align it center as well. Then your page should *float.*
If you do need to define table widths, use percentages. That way you can
accommodate different size monitors. On really big monitors, I believe some
people will define a table at, say 80% and then try to adjust the
align="left" or something to compensate for all that screen real estate.
Someday, I will own one of those bigger monitors and I'll let you know how
it works. :-)

(I know you didn't ask for a critique, but my initial reaction -- KEWL! I
like the browns and I'm normally not fond of brown). One other thing,
locsgirl.gif has some white pixeling around the edges that is visible on my
crummy video card. A good image program should let you *erase* that
left-over stuff.

HTH,
Tamara