Re: More fuss over punk-U-way-shun.

by Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:16:30 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Hey folks--it's only bandwidth ... (wiry grin)
>

>3. It gets a little fuzzy when a quote within a sentence actually completes
>a thought on it's own and sounds like a complete sentence. I wish you could
>have heard the fuss between a proof reader from Total Printing and an
>English Instructor from our community college this morning as they read
>Kim's e-mail. It was strongly argued by one of them at least, that there
>should be TWO periods.
>
>EX: Jane Doe said, "My name is Jane.".
>
>Actually I personally think both Basic and JavaScript are "easier" than

I am in the process of reading some English history that was written in the
early 1800s.
The edition that I have was printed in 1911.
I am the first to read these volumes as evidenced by the French fold
binding, i.e. some of the pages are not slit open yet.

Anyway the colon and semicolon are set off with spaces and look like this:

Blaa blaa blaa ;  blaa blaa blaa : and thus and such.

I found it interesting.

Br. Elias Thienpont OSB
http://www.assumptionabbey.com