Re: FTP: ASCII or BINARY ??

by Virginia Blalock <virginia(at)visionsnet.com>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:23:39 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:24 PM 2/18/01 -0500, Jay Smith wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I use an FTP product that is always asking me if I want to upload (to
>my ISP for use on our web site) my files in ASCII (plain text) or
>BINARY format.
>
>Right or wrong, I have always used BINARY because once upon a time
>someone told me that is what I wanted to do.  Everything has been
>working just fine.
>
>Recently, however, I read a magazine snippet in which the author
>indicated that something (I don't remember what) must be uploaded in
>ASCII format.
>
>When should one use which one???

Usually I upload text files and CGI stuff as ASCII and everything else as
BINARY. CGI scripts and accompanying files are usually always uploaded in
ASCII or they won't work.

Virginia's Visions                         Esportfans
http://www.visionsnet.com            http://www.esportfans.com
virginia(at)visionsnet.com                virginia(at)esportfans.com