Re: weblogs???

by "Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Thu, 08 Feb 2001 16:13:10 -0600
 To:  sugarcrisp53(at)webtv.net (PRP),
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:05 PM 02/08/2001 -0500, PRP wrote:

>I think I posted a similar question before but I'm still curious. Have
>any of you heard of, or use, weblogs? What is a weblog exactly, and is
>it worth having one? Since I have several sites and update them on a
>semi-regular basis, I had considered starting a weblog.  Just wondering.
>Thanks for listening

Web logs are kept by every server.  They track everything that goes on with
your site.  Your hosting company should provide server statistics that use
those logs to make pie charts and graphs to reflect the activity - or lack
there of - on your Web site.  From Search Engine keywords used to find you,
paths through your site and length of time on your site - it's all in the logs.

Many server companies also offer you access to the raw logs so that you can
download them into program such as Web trends for a very comprehensive
review of your sites activities.

Logs are the soul of your site.  They tell you what you need to know to
make your next move or plan your marketing strategies effectively.  They
even show 404s and other errors that you may have missed so that you can
correct them.

Each Web site owner should make a point of becoming intimate with this
information and reviewing it on a regular basis - at least monthly.

HTH!
/j

Do-It-Yourself Headquarters!
<http://www.technochallenged.com>