Re: Relative font sizes (CSS)

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:33:22 +0000
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 00:10 17/03/02 +0100, Nick Wilson wrote:

>Don't you find the default just a little too large?

The default in which browser? At which screen resolution? Which OS? Which
size of monitor?

As it happens, on my system, the default size of text on Mozilla 0.9.9 is
_slightly_ too large for my taste. Because of that I changed the default
size on my browser.

A far more productive thing to do is tell users how to change their font
size. Apart from the fact that this is fairly trivial to do on most
browsers, you are also contributing to the general good of the Web :-)

>I've very poor sight so I'm kinda into the whole accessibility thing by
>default but convincing clients is a whole 'nother ball game.

I've had a couple of conversations along these lines:

[Client] The text on the site is a bit too large

[Me] The text is set to be the default size. You should change the settings
on your browser.

[Client] How do I do that?

[Me] First click on <description snipped>

[Client] Thanks, that worked!

This has the effect of educating the client, and makes them feel a bit more
confident about using their computer. This enhances the business
relationship, and is thus a good thing.

I have a day off work tomorrow (St Patrick's Day). I'll try and write some
generic browser tips that can be re-used on other sites.

Andrew