Re: text fot acccessibility / was Re: Another W3C strict query

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 03 Jun 2002 12:02:12 +0100
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:17 27/05/02 +0100, Hilma wrote:
>But this has led me onto  more problems, with the amount of (repeated) text
>now being added into my html.
>
>It's bad enough that every nav-bar link now has code for "pipes" in for
>text-only browsers -
>  <em style="display:none">||</em>

This _isn't_ what you want. First of all, display: none will hide the pipes
from all CSS aware browsers, including aural ones.

Secondly, the em element should only be used for text that you want to be
emphasized. The pipes don't have any semantic meaning - they are
essentially an otherwise meaningless navigation aid. You want to wrap them
in an inline element that has no semantic meaning. Yes, you actually want
to use span here!

I'd be inclined to use

with

span.pipe {color: transparent} in the CSS. This should make the pipes
invisible in graphic browsers, but `visible' everywhere else, which is what
you need.

(Normally I'd experiment with this a bit, but I'm a bit on the busy side at
the moment. Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll see what else I can
come up with.)

>  (despite being nice and compact, thank you Bert, it occurs 10-15 times per
>page);
>but when i start tagging every photo (or link) with sensible text plus "this
>will open a new window" i'm going to end up with a huge amount of extra
>bytes.

Not that many. HTTP 1.1 (and unless you specified otherwise that is the
version that will be used for your site) compresses HTML on the fly. Lots
of repeated text compresses very nicely.

The extra text is useful information. You want to keep the useful
information in the page.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/