Re: Yahoo! listing

by Lori Eldridge <lorield(at)uswest.net>

 Date:  Sat, 7 Oct 2000 00:14:51 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Kate,

>Lori and Ken,
>I'd be interested in the nature of the sites that were both accepted and
>rejected.

The one that was just accepted for me was Endtime Prophets. It is a
personal web page of mine where I analyze the writings of so-called
prophets:

http://www.users.uswest.net/~lorield/endtime_prophets/

I had recently moved this web site after my ISP decided to quit
dial-up service, and thus the need to re-register it with all the
major search engines (I couldn't afford my own domain name at the
time so will have to move it again eventually as I just got one).

It ranked high in a lot of search engines before I had to move it and
it had been online for a least a year before this, so that might have
something to do with it being accepted again. I also had those who
were linked to it change their URLs before I listed it, and that
probably helped the listing on Yahoo. I must have about 20 sites
linked to it and that is where most of my hits come from--similar
sites. As I recall I had it categorized under the following on Yahoo:
Society/religion/faith & Practice/Christianity/apologetics/

However, I just checked and it is not showing up yet--they said it
will take 2-4 more days before it will show up in the search engines.
They said it is in the directory but it's not.

However, my old URL shows up at the top of the list when I searched
for the words "Endtime Prophets" (I didn't realize it was there) and
only one site shows up (not mine) for "false prophet" which was the
major key word I used in the text. Maybe that will change when it
gets entered into the database in a few days.

  I requested the listing on 9-30-00 so it only took about 6 days. I
redesigned the web page before I relisted it--because the home page
had been way too long--I put a lot of the data on inside pages. I
also made sure it validated cause I had heard that some search
engines will not list a page if it doesn't--often I would even forget
to check if the pages validated or not (I use Netscape a lot and it's
too forgiving :o). Also I found out Yahoo will not list a page that
is poorly designed or has a lot of broken links so I checked those
too before listing it.

Also, I read recently that Yahoo lists pages according to their
extension, i.e., because my URL contains a ~tilde this indicates this
is a personal page. If I would have had it on a .com site it might
not have went through in this category (which means I had better not
move it to my new domain which is loriswebs.com --what a pain!!!!.)

According to what I have read about Yahoo they also list sites that
have a strong focus--I made sure that was the case before relisting
it and moved all extrenous stuff to inside pages.

So, in short--I did my homework before relisting it and it worked.

Also, this site used to get the most hits from AltaVista and it won't
accept the new site, although they do have the old one listed and I'm
registered with AV too. Maybe after the old one goes offline they
will.

BTW, I found out something VERY irritating about snap.com/NBCi - They
will not let me change my old email--I have written then several
times and I get a canned response every time telling me I can change
data on my own Live Directory page (I signed up as a member) but you
can't change your email. That other email will be discontinued in a
few days that is what they will use to contact me when they accept
one of my pages.  I suppose I'll have to sign up with the new address
and relist all my web pages with them (grrrrrrr).

The web page that hasn't been accepted on Yahoo yet is a client of
mine--Parkway Chevrolet:

http://www.parkwaychevrolet.net/

But then I realized that wasn't validated (i'm still stuck on the
JavaScript problem) so I'm currently fixing it up and then I'll try
again. Also I didn't wait the 1-2 months before resubmitting it to
Yahoo and according to their directions they will ignore it for that
reason. So now I'm waiting for a reasonable amout of time before I
try again. Also this site has a BIG problem in that there is another
Parkwaychervrolet in Texas (we are in WA) with a .com address. My
client was aware of this when he registered the page but went for it
anyway.  I have managed to get our site to register up higher than
the other site on some search engines by paying strict attention to
the keywords and making sure those words are in the text and a
plethora of other tips I have learned--mostly researching the source
code of other car dealerships that rank high and seeing what they
are/are not doing. We are currently setting up a mirror site with an
alternate name to try to alleviate this problem.

BTW, I have designed a chart in Works that I use to record my search
engine listings. It has all the top search engines/directories and
some of the minor ones (about 25 in all)  on the left side of the
chart. I have categorized them according to who owns them or who is
the head org (i.e., Looksmart or Open Directory). I have several
columns on the right where I keep track of 1st, 2nd and 3rd
submission and also the results. I have found it an invaluable help
in remembering where I listed what/when. If anyone wants a copy let
me know off line and I'll send it as an attachment.

BTW, I'm signed up with the search engine newsletter called Search
Engine Report and get lots of good ideas from that also.

I hope this helps.

Lori