Re: white space in table and program to input data

by Lori Eldridge <lorrie652(at)icehouse.net>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Mar 2003 07:32:49 -0800
 To:  "Art Zoller Wagner" <art(at)zollerwagner.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Art,

>Lori, sometimes, if the data is complex or the client is going to have a
>hard time not destroying the page, the easier long-range solution may be to program a data-entry page that has form which the user fills in for each
>entry. You can insure that the data is complete and then let the script
>format it all correctly when the page is generated automatically on the
>server side. Of course, odd data can corrupt your formatting, but there are
>ways to control most of the issues.
>
>I have a routine that does some of this client side with JavaScript. It
>works well, but you have to be very careful in entering data, because it's
>all in comma separated lists, and other formats that are hard for
>nincompoops to keep straight.

Thanks. I've been searching for over a month that will do what we need  for the horse classifieds site but so far no luck. E-Classifieds said they can only provide one details page for the horses, formatted in one way. If we want a special, fancier page for the stallions we will need to format it specially and it won't be part of e-classifieds--we'll have to link it to another part of the site. But I couldn't see how this could be accomplished without another program to input the very complicated data in the pedigree. But I'm glad to hear this might be solved with JavaScript.

>Lori, keep us informed of the outcome on that sad sack host/domain name situation.

Will do. My thanks to everyone who offered their input on this matter.

take care
Lori