Re: Browser Resolution

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:59:27 EDT
 To:  bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Bert:

You wrote:

> When I say exit, I mean to a different site, not to a
>  different page (there are no external links on the opening page).   See
>  www.dasfleet.com.au
>  Now that could of course be due to many factors (including it not being
what
>  they were looking for), but I do think the download size may have
something
>  do with it: 200k on a 56k connection is still (under ideal circumstances) a
>  wait in the order of half a minute or more.

The rule-of-web-thumb I've been given is that you have anywhere from 7 to 10
seconds to download the page and grab the viewer's attention.  The typical
user doesn't have much patience beyond that.  BUT - if the viewer's "needs"
are partially satisfied at the beginning of the download, he/she will forgive
the wait and stick around.

As for myself, I sometimes click right through using the text versions of the
navigating buttons without waiting for the images to fully load.....  :-)

Statistics!  Bah, humbug!  :-)

-Jeff K.