RE: is Front Page good for novice?

by ravenl(at)indy.net (erin)

 Date:  Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:41:15 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>From: "Colin J. Raven" <cjraven(at)quik.com>
>To: "erin" <ravenl(at)indy.net>
>Subject: RE: is Front Page good for novice?
>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:52:24 -0700
>
>If I may toss in my $0.02 worth here.
>FP2000 is probably the major stride forward the Front Page project
>needed.
>As Erin stated, FP isn't as easy to use as one might think...how
>true!...Except...
>FP200 however has more of the "look & feel" of M$ Word. It's vastly more
>intuitive to use than it's predecessors, and has tons 'o clip art,
>themes...the works along with it.
>I fought my management for three years (through the various FP
>iterations) objecting to it's obscure interface, peculiar terminology,
>counter-intuitive methodology of constructing a site, steep learning
>curve, the works. To the sound of folks yelling; "dinosaur" I continued
>banging out code by hand in a text editor (vi, but let's not even go
>there!)
>The other night I had to edit some pages on a pre-existing site that
>had, in fact, been done by someone else in FP97....and it was good :) :)
>I played with FP for about four hours, delighting in it's new
>ease-of-use.
>Anyway, I seriously digress.....
>This guy is new to computers *and* web-stuff you say??
>It's doubtful that he should even be considering maintaining a site. Hit
>the books and learn something about computers, learn M$ Office apps like
>Word, take a few classes, *then* start playing with an HTML editor.
>As I said, that's my $0.02 worth only. Feel free to disagree, flame, or
>simply ignore as required.
>Regards to all as always,
>-Colin
>--
>Colin J. Raven
>cjraven(at)quik.com
>

>>front page isn't as easy to use as one might think.  if this guy is
>serious
>>about maintaining his own site, have him look into taking a class on
>front
>>page or on html so he can insure that he keeps a goodlooking site that
>>people will return to.
>>if i were you, i'd tell him to leave it to the professionals.  if he
>>doesn't want to learn, then he isn't going to and the site is going to
>end
>>up going downhill.
>>
>>sorry.  by the way, i'm erin.  i'm new.  i work in web design and am an
>>account executive for an ISP in Indiana.  just turned 21.  anything
>else?
>>dunno.
>>
>>erin
>>hope that helped...
>
>At 8:24 AM 9/18/99, PBS wrote:
>>>I have a photographer friend who last year traded with a local
>computer
>>>company, pics for a web site. They made his site with Front Page and
>>>posted it on their own server. He emailed me the other day asking
> [...]

ICQ: 4778608 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AIM: aerinfairy

http://members.tripod.com/~Katelibby - oncitystreets

"I'm Queen of the Nerds." - - - - - - - - - - - - Tori Amos
"All my life I wanted to be somebody.   Now I realize
I should have been more specific."  - - - - - - Unknown
"Being in love involves perceiving perfection.   Actual
love involves accepting imperfection." - - - - Unknown

HTML Guild: hwg-basics mailing list archives, maintained by Web Developer Association - IWA