Re: tobacco sales

by "Malcolm Hodges" <machodges(at)prontoservices.com>

 Date:  Tue, 2 May 2000 14:50:32 -0700
 To:  "Brian Markham" <bmarkham(at)home.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
There is an Indian reservation in New Mexico that sells cigarettes from
their website. They touted it in California as tax free. The price was lower
even after shipping. They eventually sent a letter to all of their customers
in California that they were being forced by the CA State Franchise Tax
Board to report taxable sales and the customers name and address at the end
of the year. They will go after the consumer for the tax.

Your client must be very careful. Different states have different laws. I'm
sure its even more of a mess when you start talking international. Don't
most Arab (Muslim) countries have laws against tobacco and alcohol?