Re: Starting Out?

by Jan Theodore Galkowski <jtgalkowski(at)alum.mit.edu>

 Date:  Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:46:01 -0500
 To:  Thompark(at)aol.com
 Cc:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:33 PM 02/26/2000 EST, Thompark(at)aol.com wrote:
>Hi, I have decided to start up my own web design company.  I am currently
working on our site and making plans with my partner, and we plan to be
operational by the summer.  Although I have some experience making websites
and feel I am good at it, I have no experience in the business aspect of
it.  What steps should I first take?  My primary concern is finding
clients; I think my skills and hard work (not to sound cocky) will take
care of the rest. We are going to do some advertising in some papers,
submit to search engines, and spread the word by talking, but what else
should I be doing?  Your experienced insight is extremely valued.

>Thanks,
>Tom

In my experiences working with clients, it is most essential to
have _someone_ develop a 1-1 relationship with each and every
client.  Client's don't always say and don't know how to say what
they really want.  You need to get inside their business as well
as listen to their requests.  In the end, doing what they say they
want if they insist upon it, is a large portion of a success.

Once you have done something for a client, it is important to
keep in the loop and to do services and things to keep them
"in the stable".  This is an art software and services companies
have mastered.  It would, for instance, even be good to get the
trust level up to the point where you or one of your employees
attends their periodic meetings, simply to offer what could or
could not be done.  It is important, IMO, to be honest here, if
only to help convince that you really have their interests at
heart.

Just some suggestions.  In time, you'll find most of your=20
revenue comes from your "stable" of clients doing this periodic
refresh and changes.  You need to be sure, however, that you
charge enough for the time, labor, and trouble it costs you,
and don't be surprised if they are shocked and try other
sources.   If you live in a non-metro area, one thing to develop
is a sample -- updated frequently -- of what Web firms charge
for development and updates in a metro area.  Your clients will
also be shocked.

  --jtg