Re: contract samples

by Ivan Hoffman <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>

 Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 2001 05:26:29 -0800
 To:  "Bob Unger" <rbu(at)akula.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:12 PM 1/25/01 -0500, Bob Unger wrote:
>Can anyone direct me to where I can find sample contracts.

Read the many, many articles on my site about web design legal and contract
issues and if you still feel the need to "save" money by trying to create
your own, then read the articles again.  Especially read "Dignity for
Designers."

Keep in mind that in the business of intellectual property rights (and
that's the business you are in whether you know it or not), legally
appropriate contracts are *not* add-ons to your business, something you do
*if* you have any money left over;  legally appropriate contracts *are*
your business.  Without a thorough and valid contract, then what you have
is nothing but an illusion.  It only *appears* you are in business but in
reality, you are not since given a controversy between you and your client,
you risk losing your rights and the fees that go along with those rights.
Additionally, surely your time must be worth something and it is simply
unclear the reason you would spend your valuable time trying,
unsuccessfully, to draft complex legal documents when you could use that
time to generate business for yourself.
IVAN HOFFMAN, B.A., J.D.
Attorney At Law
Lawyering With Integrity (sm)
Internet Law, Copyrights, Trademarks, Publishing Law, Corporate Training
and Online Education Law, Web Design Law, Recording and Music Law.  *A 6
Times Award-Winning Site.* http://www.ivanhoffman.com