Re: Legitimate Mailings vs. Spam

by Judith Kallos <hwg-lgmgr(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:29:21 -0500
 To:  "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:09 PM 9/16/2003, Darrell King wrote:
>My hosting provider has 2 servers that are rejected by AOL. They have been
>trying to get it resolved for some weeks now and it's impossible to make any
>headway.

I work with several providers all experiencing the same thing.  Even if
they contact AOL to try and get the block removed it is only temporary
until someone does something for AOL to put it back up again.

>I also understand AOL is rejecting email from domains without a static IP.
>I haven't verified that one yet.

That has been my experience as well.

>It does seem to me that we may be looking
>at a weathervane of sorts here.  The SPAM situation has begun to cost ISPs
>money on several fronts, including equipment, bandwidth and irritated
>customers.  I'm not surprised to see the emergence of stronger stances....

I am thrilled that someone is taking efforts in this area, but to just do a
broad sweep assuming any quantity of email from a non-static IP or
otherwise seems to not be fair.  But then, life isn't fair is it.

So, what is your experience has been a work around?  Newsletters and eZines
are big parts of many of businesses as well as our clients.   If using a
newsletter service such as the ones previously offers a static IP, that
could be the fix but is anyone sure about that?

Thanx for your input!  ;-)
/j