RE: personal site of not much importance

by "Atticus Longwalker" <lngwlkr(at)netnitco.net>

 Date:  Tue, 12 Jan 1999 23:04:35 -0600
 To:  "HWG_Critique" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>,
"�Megan �" <peacedream(at)hotmail.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
OK, you asked for it:-)  I viewed with IE5. and NN4.08  56K, 800X600, High
color.

Bad stuff:

First, if you really have to keep the crescendo thing, allow the vistor to
turn it off before it completely loads.  I got the control to turn it off
AFTER it was done d/l and started playing. I would suggest not having it
autoplay. If the visitor wants to hear it, then they will click on
play.(This is in IE only.  Netscape did not autorun the midis)

Second, the first page is too bland.  It contains nothing that would intice
me to check the rest of your site. The first page to a site is sort of like
the back cover of a book.  It should give you an overall idea of what is
inside while leaving enough out people will want to read it to find out all
the details.

Third, the links to your other pages, I would suggest either making some
sort of graphic, or emphasizing them in some way. On the first wuick look at
your page, I thought the one page was all you had. (If you dont know how or
cant make graphical buttons and want them, contact me privately and we can
take care of it.) Also, You should keep the current page's link there, just
make it inactive. (If this is confusing let me know I will explain further)

Fourth, on your guestbook, the last question you have for people about the
animal...everyone's responses are in dark purple..again didnt know people
had responded till I looked close and turned up brightness and contrast.

Fifth, Because this is a personal page, maybe you should put a little more
about you on the index page. this would go hand in hand with my second
observation/opinion.

Sixth, While you keep your different areas seperated well, I think the music
site links, midis and wavs could all be combined into a single page.  I
would suggest maybe a table with three columns. (This is just ideas passing
through my head :-)

Seventh, your links page looks barren.  You have the links going down the
left hand side of the page, and the rest is empty.  To correct this, I would
suggest giving a review of some sort about each site you are linking. ( your
music, midi and wav sections have this also, but not as bad as the links
page)

Eight, especially for your wav files, (but should be included on the midis)
Let the visitor know how big the file they are going to d/l is.

Ninth (and last), you really dont need a link to sign and read your
guestbook on every single page.  One time on the index page is enough.

Good stuff:

First, I disagree with Pam.  I like the M&M on the white background because
with your background, you probably would not be able to tell what it is.

Second, All pages load quickly.(except for the midi).

Third, I like the use of colors.  It is easy to read.

Atticus Longwalker
BK-04 Longwalker
News Department Manager
BAD KARMA Mecha News