Re: Critique, please!

by Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>

 Date:  Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:12:28 -0500
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:37 PM 6/24/99 , Andrej Kostresevic wrote:

>This is my first site, so go easy on me...
>Any suggestions on how to improve it would be appreciated

>homepage @ http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/Dray

Hello!
First of all, get rid of the javascript asking our name. Most find it annoying.

I can barely read the words on the left frame because of both the color of
the graphics and the background graphic. On personal pages those noisy
backgrounds are ok, but I personally have a hard time reading text on those
busy backgrounds.

Use "border=0" to take the blue borders off of linking images. The HWG logo
is one of those graphics affected by this.

The index page is basically nothing but ads and other things that link off
site. Your LOCAL content should be king. If you want those ads and such, a
better idea would be to put them on the bottom after the content.

Even on personal pages, having consistency in graphics is a good idea. The
busy green background on the Alice in Chains page clashes with the
backgorund graphic in the left frame.

I personally found the animated AIC header graphic a bit annoying, but that
is a personal preference thing. The graphic does have terrible white
jaggies around it. That takes away from the attractiveness of the graphic.

Something that was 589K was loading here also. I am not sure what it was(I
stopped it) but that is WAY too large for anything on a site to
automatically download. Have a link to those large files where people can
download it if they wish.
This goes for any file on the site that are large in size.

Overall, it does look like you have put some work into the site. However,
there are too many ads all over the site and it would be nice to see local
content more(like the Alice in Chains section).

Virginia's Visions
http://visions.simplenet.com