Re: need a browser check please...

by Collette McNeill <collette(at)mlwebworks.com>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:02:00 -0800
 To:  Kae Verens <kverens(at)contactjuggling.org>
 Cc:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:24 PM 10/30/03 +0000, you wrote:
>Collette McNeill wrote:
>
>>http://www.eastbayloans.com
>>(redirects to /refinaince.html)
>>
>>This design is supposed to adjust to a resized window. I'm programming a
>>way to direct browsers that don't see this correctly or which have js
>>turned off to another page...
>>
>>Thanks for the help,
>>Collette
>>
>>PS> For some reason IE5.1/mac 9.2 returns a grey screen. Aiiiigh!!! I'm
>>looking into that now...
>

>wow... never thought to see a webpage treated so much like an
>advertisement! I wouldn't know where to start commenting on that...

That was exactly the look we went for!

>you should not need to write two separate pages to handle
>javascript/non-javascript - that way lies trouble. you should write your
>site first without javascript, then add the javascript /in moderation/ to
>that very version.

Both versions are shells which pull the same content via SSI.

>your source-code could be drastically reduced by externalizing your
>JavaScript and CSS -

what's the advantage of externalizing javascript? Will it make the page
faster? I already have an external stylesheet for styles that don't define
the content div's. If I add more content to refinance.html in the future,
having the div IDs styled on the same page as the javascript and SSI
commands which define their content & interactivity seems like it would
make the job much more efficient.  I'd only need to upload my content and
edit one file.

>and increasing your use of CSS - tables are /so/ 90s ;-)

Hey, they work, don't they :) and I can code them in my sleep.

>nice email address - I work for an Irish company called webworks!
>
>Kae

Thanks for your feedback!
Collette