Re: Non-Profit site requests comments (Graphical Dreams)

by Casey <casey1992(at)tds.net>

 Date:  Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:29:13 -0500
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Mary,

At 7:55 -0400 8/22/03, Missy Scott wrote:
>I think it looks fantastic!  Only one thing: on the calendar page, if you
>can, add a link to go back so a user can get back to the main page and the
>navigation there.

The "look" of your site is great! I agree that the calendar page
should have navigation that's consistent with the other pages.

At 9:45 -0400 8/22/03, Norman Bunn wrote:
I find the font size a bit too small

It looks fine for me on my Mac at 1024 x 768, but it's small enough
that others may find it hard to see. Maybe you want to consider using
a relative font sizing scheme in your CSS.

One thing I did notice in your CSS is that you only provide one font
choice within each class. I happen to have all your fonts on my
system but others might not. Something like 'font-family: Arial,
Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif' would allow for alternate fonts, with
the user's default san-serif font kicking in of the others weren't
available.

Norman Bunn wrote:
>... from the home page I choose "Protect Yourself On Line", but,
>when I get to that page, you have a title that says, "Procedures to
>keep others from knowing you have visited the site."

I wonder if "Protect Yourself On Line" within your <title> element
while keeping the same header within your content would do the trick.
Just a suggestion...I wonder what others think.

One note about <title> elements. You have either "IVSHA-Illinois
Valley Safe House Alliance" or "Illinois Valley Safe House Alliance"
preceding the names of your daughter pages. For viewing in a window
or bookmarking purposes, page titles are often truncated. Your
content is important enough that visitors may easily wish to bookmark
your daughter pages. You might want to consider something short like
"IVSHA-Whatever" to title each page.

W3C provides these hints on titles: http://www.w3.org/2001/06tips/good-titles

Norman Bunn wrote:
>The sub-navigation on this page has links to "IE 4 and above for
>Mac" and "Netscape", but I am running IE 6 on Windows ...

I think including similar information for IE Windows would address this.

Norman Bunn wrote:
>Why are there separate links for a snail mail newsletter and an email one?

I don't see a problem with the separate links because the forms are
so completely different. Someone wanting the newsletter via e-mail
doesn't have to bother reading the other stuff. I was going to
comment on the need for a new window (so many people discourage doing
this) until I tried it. Because the window pops up in the middle of
the screen with an appropriate size, you might not even need to
mention that the links open in a new window. I'd ask the opinions on
others regarding this idea when considering this.

On the snail-mail form, a Javascript option appears to exist that
would allow the user to select the place-holding text in each field
on a single click, allowing them to type over the selected text right
away. I don't know much about doing this, but I believe you would use
something like onfocus="this.select()". There's a thread discussing
forms at AccessifyForum.com at:
http://www.accessifyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=100

The key information you'd be looking for is at the end of the third
post, a lengthy but helpful one by 'gez'.

Another thing I'd include on the newsletter page is a link to Acrobat
Reader. This one ought to work:

Norman Bunn wrote:
On the domestic violence page, I would put some space between the
arrows and the text

I don't see a problem, but you might want to ensure consistency
across browsers via your CSS.

One very minor thing I noticed. The line spacing for your main page
link box is a little bit askew on IE 5 for Mac. It doesn't affect
reading your information at all, so it's not that important, but I
thought I'd let you know. Rather than trying to explain it, you can
look at these screen shots for IE and Netscape at:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~shepherdmix/zzzzz_board_pics/mary.html

I wonder if a definition-term list would be good for this.
Content-wise, it's taylor-made for what you're doing, it would do
well in browsers without CSS enabled, and you can format the <DT> and
<DD> stuff to give you exactly the look you're going for.

Good luck!