Re: Since we're talkin copyrights.

by cribbs(at)isgroup.net (Derriel Cribbs)

 Date:  Fri, 6 Mar 1998 09:00:28 -0500
 To:  <mgruenhagen(at)picinc.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
According to the Fair Use Doctrine (Section 110 (5) of the Copyright Act of
1976), it is allowable to use "limited portions" of a copyrighted item for
works such as commentary, news reporting, academic reports, and the like.

In your case however, the way I see it, (and this will vary with the
individual), whether or not the dynamic font is being distributed or not
isn't the issue. Assuming it is copyrighted, the font itself is being
modified and/or used and unless someone has permission to do so from the
author, it is in fact copyright infringement. This issue is the kind of
thing that is often overlooked by many developers and HTML hobbyists who
think, "Well, the web is soooo big...what's the odds of them seeing their
stuff on my site?".

*Sigh*

I dunno. To answer the question, from personal experience if there is any
question on whether you are infringing on copyright, I would try my best to
locate an author and ask permission. If you paid for use of a font (i.e.
Font cd-roms, font web sites, etc.), the you do in fact have the right to
*use* the font. However, I would be cautious of altering and/or distributing
it. It's a thin line.

For some interesting reading on the subject, try Yong-Cham Kim's "Copyright
and Internet" ( http://piolet.msu.edu/user/kimyong2/copy.htm ). That URL was
giving me problems so if it doesn't work, please don't hold it against me.
:) It discusses the Clinton administration's attempt to shape existing
copyright laws to apply more fully to the digital age. Clinton's commission,
The Information Infrastructure Task Force (IITF), made some suggestions in
their "White Paper" that have some people upset. Read all about it if you
can get it. I found it interesting. Also, check out the US Copyright
Office's web site at http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/

Other links:
The copyright web site -- http://www.benedict.com
Copyright and Fair Use - Stanford University -- http://fairuse.stanford.edu/