Re: Poppy

by "Donna M Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 9 Nov 1999 18:34:28 -0000
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
That will vary from one website to another.  The Altavista search will
simply help you find the images, which, after all, is the first step
regardless of whether you are looking for free images or can afford to pay
for the use of an image.  Once you start browsing through the search
results and find an image you like, you should check the website to find
out if the image is available for use or not.  Some sites will make it
clear that the image is legally available for use, either free or on
payment of a copyright fee.  Some sites will make it clear that the image
is not available for use.  And the remaining sites (probably the majority)
won't specify, so an enquiry to the website owner or manager will be
required, but that isn't a problem - a polite enquiry will, more often than
not, receive a polite reply.  And if the reply is "no", accept it with good
grace and try another one.  :-)  If you want to be extra careful, you can
also ask the website owner/manager to confirm that the copyright on the
image belongs to them, and that they are legally entitled to give
permission for others to use it.

Regards,
Donna
--