Re: Print

by "Ramon Bartschat" <bartschat(at)goldnet.sk>

 Date:  Tue, 29 Dec 1998 00:40:11 +0100
 To:  "Carol G. Parent" <cbwd(at)means.net>,
"Graphics,
HWG" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I usually scan logos at high resolution and then retouch them before
reducing resolution again.
Logos usually contain contiguous areas of the same color so I usually
posterize the image (I think photoshop calles it despeckle) and then select
and mask the areas of same color and then fill (with anti aliasing set)
everything in the color desired. This way I ensure that GIF compression
(usually best for Logos) really compresses the best. It also will look
better (not obviously scanned).

Try to scan a BIG version of their logo at a high dpi settings (e.g.:300
dpi), work on it like described above and then resample to the size you want
and 72 dpi. (Most of the time an adaptive unsharpen filter set to 100% after
resampling does wonders too)

Of course everything depends on the logo. What type of image is it?

If it is a simple image the best solution might be to redraw it in a vector
graphic programm like CorelDraw.

R. Bartschat