Re: Graphic Resolution Information

by "Ramon Bartschat" <bartschat(at)goldnet.sk>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:53:39 +0100
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Well Yes Dave the question is a little bit broad.

As a general rule of thumb:

-Photographs and 'complex pictures' should be compressed in JPEG
-If the JPEG is 'bigger' then he should always use progressive encoding.

-Logos and solid color images should be compressed in GIF.
GIF compresses the best if there are long rows of repeated colors.
(Horizontal rows)
-If the GIF is bigger than say 100x100 pixels the he might save it as an
interlaced GIF

-The artist should design in a higher resolution to obtain better results
with his graphic software but at the very end when he exportes to GIF or
JPEG he should resample to 72 dpi (Screen resolution).

Hope this general aswers help.

Ramon Bartschat