Re: Digital Camera

by "Gail Miller" <gmiller(at)gatewayone.com>

 Date:  Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:50:11 -0400
 To:  "Snow Ballard" <snowlei(at)yahoo.com>,
"Ben Ocean" <lists(at)TheWebsons.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Gotta jump in here and say I'm extremely pleased with the Nikon CoolPix950.
I'm told the 990 (few hundred dollars more) is even better and faster
download, etc. I needed something that had a micro lens and this one has a
very good lens that does extreme closeups and also zooms out to 2.5 times
greater than the eye.

The key to transferring the photos from the camera to the computer is
through a flash-card reader which sells for about $60 or $70. I set my Nikon
for "standard" quality (which gives me 800x600 print size) and the normal
flash-memory card that comes standard with it allows about 135 pictures to
be stored on it.  Using the serial port transfer method takes me about
2-minutes per picture. Using the flash card reader, the whole thing is done
in less than 2 minutes.

I took the Nikon to the Olympics in Australia and bought another flash card
there. I took the first card to Fotomart and they transferred the photos to
a CD for $20. With 135 pictures on the CD, and another 270 on the two flash
cards I had plenty of pictures (too many, in fact!!) when I got home.

The other thing I strongly recommend is using rechargeable batteries and
getting a recharger. With two sets of AA batteries (the camera takes four at
a time) I recharged one set every night and did not run out of power.

A friend of mine has an Olympus Digital camera (which is significantly less
expensive than the Nikon) and he likes it very much as well. For the Nikon
950 I paid about $800 and Ritz Camera was offering a $100 rebate. I think
you might get a better price on the Internet but I'm not sure.

Good luck. I'm not familiar with the Sony but I think the Nikon is
state-of-the-art. There are good reviews of it (and comparisons with other
digital cameras) at www.zdnet.com

Gail Miller