Re: Web design - sorry if off topic!!!

by "=?iso-8859-1?q?L.=20J.=20Durham?=" <taliesinmedia(at)yahoo.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:14:54 +0100 (BST)
 To:  Reywob(at)aol.com,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi Peter --- This doesnt seem like an off-topic
discussion to me but what do I know <wink>

Well I have a traditional graphic design background
and went to Art School and did graduate work in
marketing and advertising. Ive also had work
experience with marketing, advertising and project
management which is a definit asset for me.

Most of what I have learned regarding coding and
scripting has come about in "learn by doing"
situations with clients I was doing other media work
for. In addition to HTML, DHTML, XML, Java and
Javascript I also feel that some design training is in
order. Design sense is something that is innate and
can be developed -- but it isnt something that
everyone has or can be taught. I think weve all seen
enough sites and graphics where that statement is
borne out.

As has been stated elsewhere there are a number of
excellent online resources with tutorials and several
books I dont think a pro should want to be without.
But even for online resources you need more than just
tutorials at your disposal as a professional
developer.

Like everyone else here I make the most of the HTMLWG
and other forums. There isnt enough money in the world
to try and take classes at a university to stay on top
of every  development in this business -- and frankly
a lot the same material you can access for free -- and
do it at your own pace to boot. And its much easier
here to address very specific issues like the one you
indicated.

Good luck to you

Lisa J. Durham

My online resources include:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/
http://www.xml.org/
http://www.Cnet.com/
http://www.zdnet.com/
http://www.submit-it.com/
http://www.linkexchange.com/
http://www.banneradnetwork.com/
http://www.SearchEngineWatch.com/
http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual/
http://developer.netscape.com/index.html
http://www.webdeveloper.com/
http://www.greensoft.com/billing/roicalculator.html
http://www.mozilla.org/
http://www.verso.com/work/fusionaries/html/core.html
http://home.netscape.com/computing/websiteservices/index.html
http://www.projectcool.com/
http://www.publish.com/
http://www.killersites.com/core.html
http://www.Adeveloper.com/
http://www.webdeveloper.com/
http://www.zdnet.com/devhead/
http://www.webreference.com/
http://www.opensource.org/
http://www.ScriptSearch.com/
http://thelist.internet.com/
http://javaboutique.internet.com/PushIt/
http://www.internetworld.com/
http://www.internetnews.com/
http://idm.internet.com/
http://www.i-us.com/
http://www.webmonkey.com

--- Reywob(at)aol.com wrote:
> Apologies if this gets off topic - the contents seem
> to cross the boundaries
> between the forums!
>
> taliesinmedia(at)yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > Plenty of people seem to
> >  be getting by without knowing the first thing
> about
> >  HTML and advanced programming. I personally dont
> >  agree with that -- but thats a part of the
> reality of
> >  this business.
>
> Hi,
> Guess its about time I introduced myself.  My name's
> Peter Bowyer and I'm 15.
>  I've now been on the web for 3 months, in which
> time I've built myself 2
> websites, mostly using Microsoft Word97.  I've
> become hooked and now want to
> go on to a career in web building/graphic design.
> Big question is, how
> do/did you learn all the stuff?  I'm struggling with
> HTML, primarily because
> I cannot find a good/affordable book.  Likewise
> Javascript.  I cant find any
> information on the On Mouse Click function or how to
> pre-load images, which I
> want for a roll-over effect.
 Peter.